16 November 2007

A Victor Meldrew* moment...


I had arranged to meet someone for a quick coffee today and on the way I stopped to get some cash from an ATM. There was a queue at the external machine so I nipped into the bank to use the ATM inside. There was this man paying in cheques one at a time into the machine and just as I thought he had finished, he'd start with another one.
The clock was ticking and my coffee time was getting nearer. I gave up, sensing this guy was going to be some time and went back out to the external ATM, only to be beaten to it by a little old lady.
She was dithering about trying to get her card in and follow the instructions on screen and still the clock ticked away. My patience was beginning to fray and I could feel myself muttering under my breath.

As my patience was about to snap I looked over my shoulder and saw Death walking towards me - it was the Grim Reaper, clad all in black with no face and carrying a scythe.
I thought he had come for me - he walked on by and into the bank. Was he making a deposit or withdrawal? Had he come for the 'cheque man'? WTF was going on?

Then it clicked - it's Children in Need day today and I suddenly noticed others dressed in various costumes. Good job the little old lady was so engrossed in trying to get her money from the ATM otherwise, if she had looked up, it might have been time to practice my knowledge of First Aid!.........

*Victor Meldrew

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear once it has been moderated.