20 February 2008

Backpack boneheads...

After my recent Macworld trip I thought I had seen the back of the phenomenon known as Rucksack Rage.
But no, I discovered that backpack bumping is as prevalent over here as it is in the crowded confines of the Moscone Centre. Today I was stood in line waiting for my coffee, plated muffin in one hand, when my elbow was jostled. It took all of my balancing skills to stop the top heavy muffin spinning off the plate and onto the floor. The cause of this test of my reactions? It was some elephant of a female wearing a backpack. She knew she had made contact as she looked at me but she obviously thought it was not worthy of an apology.

So why do backpack wearers have so little consideration for others in crowded areas? In line for the keynote at MWSF there was a group of Germans who were pushing their way to the front of the crowd waiting to be let onto the hall. They were using their loads like Panzer tanks in a backpack blitzkrieg crushing all resistance to the left and right.
There were just as many examples of ignorant people later on amongst visitors to the expo floor. In the melee of people around various booths you were taking the risk of being crushed between backpacks if you dropped your guard. Some of these backpacks were more suited to a two week expedition up the Himalayas to a day on the floor of a hall in San Francisco!

Anyway, good job I was in a relatively mellow mood today otherwise there may well have been a bunfight at the coffee corral...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear once it has been moderated.