09 April 2008

Alpha is omega'd...

Seems like my Arcam Alpha 5 CD Player is giving up the ghost.
The sound is badly distorting while playing a CD and even though I have run a lens cleaner disc through it and used contact cleaner on the interconnects it is still distorting the audio.

I have rigged up a Sony CD Walkman to test the amplifier connections and it is working fine. So I can only assume that it is the end of the road for the Alpha 5.

I have had this for about 13 years and up until recently it was used almost every day. If I can't get a repair done cheaply, I wonder if I will just ditch the Alpha 5 in favour of one of my iPods as a source.

The Delta 290 amplifier has been exhibiting a 'dry' input selector switch for a while now. From reading various forums this 'pot' is sealed as it is motorised and so lubricating it is not an option (this is not the cause of the CD player problem).

Maybe it is time to just replace the whole system...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear once it has been moderated.